Wednesday 30 September 2009

2009 MOBO Awards *sigh*

So after much deliberation I thought I would watch and blog the MOBOs. We know all the conversations surrounding the event, its credibility etc. and have myself been in numerous conversations throughout the day regarding this.

Reggie Yates and Keri Hilson presented the show. We know and love Reggie well so its all eyes on Keri to see how her presenting skills are.

The show opened up with Tinchy on an almost Jesus like stance bringing out the well rinsed Dappy of N Dubz for a verse of Number One before dropping in what reminds me of Coldplay with the green strobes for a couple verses of you're not alone. Nice performance all round.

Reggie came out in a typically Reggie sharp suit and started the show off well and introduced Keri in a hot ass dress who threw to Peter Andre who will be presenting from backstage.

Best Newcomer: JLS (Presented by Laura Critchler and Beverley Knight)

So up next we have a quick Funky interval with Donae'o , Gracious K and the In the morning chick (sorry mind has gone blank) and she sang out of time to the instrumental. Tut.

Best R&B: Keri Hilson (Presented by the boys from Skins) picked up by Reggie so Keri can get on with her performance of her new track Energy. Thankfully her vocal was much better than at the BET Awards earlier this year, cos boy ... She then took it into Knocks You Down with Taio who sounds better than Ne-Yo lol. Shame guy. Nice performance I gotta say.

Best Reggae: Sean Paul (Presented by Reggie)

Backstage to Peter Andre with JLS (shout out to J.John)

Best Album: N Dubz (Presented by Jessica Ennis) Bashy shoulda got that, f'real. KMT.

Next up we had the "wonderful" JLS miming. Aint gonna give them anymore column inches. How can you come there and mime? Bun them. I need love CPR? Nah loves. Ya need to sing live or don't flipping perform. You aint Timberlake. He does ten times as much as you and STILL sings live. Sit down.

Best Video: Beyonce (Presented by Amir Khan)
Bless him. Amir looked like a deer in the headlights. Lol. And the people booing at the video from Beyond acceptance speech? Er .... Why?! She can't hear you. Dumb!


Best Jazz Act: Yolanda Brown (Presented by Reggie) well deserved. She's a class act and a wonderful performer. Please support her as she's not signed and works so hard.

Next up Chipmunk, the pint sized rapper performed a medley of his tracks with Ironik. Was a little stiff and he could have done with a hype man just to get the crowd hyped more. Dancers were on point though and Chip's interaction with his dancers was aight still. But he looks stiff and uncomfortable.

Ironik filling in til Chip changed his clothes for Tiny Dancer was tedious to say the least. Sorry love. It was flat. Tiny Dancer was much better though. Chip saved my man lol. Still stiff up stiff up though.

Best Gospel Act: Victizzle (Presented by Keri) a good thing for younger kids to get to know God. Well deserved. Showing the shift in how this country takes in music.


Best Hip Hop Act: Chipmunk (Presented by Alexandra "hot blue dress and legs" Burke and Lemar) I was half expecting it. Although Kanye and Em's albums far outsold his album. Well done and that people voted for the UK acts. Not his biggest fan but well done all the same. He wrote his album and recorded during his A levels so props for that Chip.

The lovely, gorgeous in fact Kelly Rowland with David Guetta singing the well played Summer anthem When Love Takes Over. I think she had a couple timing problems at the beginning and her tuning was off, but I love her enough to forget that. Will always prefer her to Bey. Hands down.


Best African Act: Neke (Presented by Reggie)

The annual Kanya King self adulation bit. The reason London don't love the MOBOs is because you're not listening to the people that actually vote. Was so heavily reliant on brown nosing/genital riding the Americans to try and get ratings. We don't put up with any foolishness in London. THAT'S why you moved your awards out of the capital, sista. And probably also the money factor. But I'm gonna say you really need to fix up as you're rapidly losing the people this awards ceremony is supposed to be for.

War child got the BeMOBO Award for their work abroad looking after children who are used in conflict, many fighters. Well deserved. As a parent I fully endorse this charity.


Here we go. N Dubz. I had to mute my television for this so I can't give you commentary. They jar me NO end. Have never heard any of their songs all the way through. Very proud of that.

Talk amongst yourself as they perform ...... Seriously. You finished yet?

Oh they've gone. *finds remote* FFS ....

Best Song: JL bloody S (Presented by Steven K Amos) *pours liquor for the loss of good taste in the UK* are you people out of your tree?

Best UK Act *sigh* N Dubz: (Presented by Naomi Harris and Katie Young)
This is the most I've heard these people in my lifetime. Who the eff are they? For real. I must be getting old because I really cyan tek these pickney coming on here like big people. Was surprised Estelle wasn't in the nominees? She's a lot bigger in terms of stature than most of the nominees.

Mr Hudson was up next. The first performance of the night I actually liked. He's good live although tonight he looks a little uncomfortable. Not sure if its cos of the awards or what.


Best DJ: Trevor Nelson (Presented by Jade Jacobs and Uno someone - rugby player?)

FFS. Who voted?! Nah man. I don't care who I piss off. Manny or Shortee shoulda WON! I think he gets it by default. Don't get me wrong Trevor is decent, but c'mon man. MANNY NORTE. And you should see what Manny was wearing. Will post a pic with this blog if I get one as he looked HOT. Shortee also is one of THE best DJs out there. These two know their craft. That proper pissed me RIGHT off.

Latoya Jackson came up today to introduce the Lifetime Achievement Award for my hero MJ. She looked so thin tonight. I hope she is eating. As many as I've seen now, I still shed a little tear watching this montage. Everyone there at the awards owes their careers to him. End of. If they don't cite him as an influence their lying.

Now to the musical tribute for MJ:

Started of with Shaheem. He melts my heart every time. He sung I'll be there and its evident he's having training as his voice is unbelievably stronger than when he was on BGT. Seriously blew away all the acts that performed tonight. Shame on you. Ha.

Diversity followed up with what can only be described as a powerful performance. True to their style and to MJ. Woulda liked to have seen the lean from Smooth Criminal in there. But you know what, can not fault them at ALL. Love them to death.

Next up Jermaine and his painted on hair (lol) to sing and this had me welling up a bit. Aint gonna lie. But he does remind me of that guy in the kids show Lazy Town a bit. Hehe. Sorry *serious face*

Young Soul Rebels (all them 'urban' acts you get me fam) came out with their track for War Child. I hope they raise money, not feeling this tune though. With a choir? Er, why?

All in all it wasn't too bad. A lot better than I first thought it would be. The organisation was on point this time. They have realised they need to look to the UK and the talent. My problem is this bigging up mediocrity. We need to constructively criticise our home grown acts in order to improve the quality as we have a LONG way to go before we are where we should be. Thankfully they didn't ride too many US genitals and some of those acts didn't reach.

As far as I'm concerned, we need less of the N Dubz youts and more of the proper talent and we will then grow the awards properly.


All in all compared to the sh*t I saw for a number of years, this years' offering was a lot better. Still a long way to go now.

They now need to listen to the people that buy the music and actually vote and they may then be an awards show to be proud of.

Quote from a friend of mine who I had a conversation with during the show:

" I'm awake and understand the money issue, but there are loads of arenas etc but they could have done more. Partnered up with blog site etc. Look at all these companies that feed off OUR CULTURE and RACE just to turn around to call us URBAN! Nah gimme ur money! Companies like Coke, Pepsi, Nike, Adidas, Puma, T-Mobile, Orange, 3. The list goes on!"


Mi garn. Peas.


-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

DEL.ICIO.US

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites